Friday, January 04, 2008

Q. What is an architect?

I'm often asked what I do for a living. My one word answer is typically followed by many, many other questions, as most people seem to be genuinely interested and somewhat enamored with the profession.

I was asked this question several times at a holiday party recently, and as I was driving home that evening, I began to consider the probing questions in contrast with my brevity, my matter-of-factness, my condensation of all that the profession entails... into a few simple words.

In my defense and in general, I'm a woman of not so many spoken words, particularly when strangers or casual acquaintances and the subject of myself are involved. It's not that I'm not willing to share, but rather that I am selective in the content of my answer, hoping to keep it of interest to the recipient and appropriate to the situation.

Throughout history. the role of an architect has been greatly romanticized; and it seems to be a cultural mystery. Perhaps in some ways, the answers that I, and others in the profession, give at cocktail parties that further those notions!

Truth be told, I would never be able to fully describe the job I do. Please don't mistake that statement for condescension or profession of glamour, it's just the honest truth. I don't believe there is any other profession that requires that you understand so many sciences, laws and other professions.

No comments: